Greetings!

As a lover of British detective fiction, I have often tried to imagine the food and drink referred to in my bedtime reading. Whilst my reading is usually comprises food related, I do revert to the likes of Agatha Christie, Edgar Wallace and Joseph Smith Fletcher (amongst others) when I am feeling lazy or tired.

The recipes here are my interpretations of meals, snacks and drinks that I encounter during my reading and I will attempt to reproduce such recipes as I imagine they would have been prepared, cooked and served during the decade in which the relevant novel has been set. Although the majority of the posts are recipes, I will also include descriptions of those ingredients which are no longer in common use or indeed, those which are extinct.

Each recipe is written for conventional cookery methods, but where possible, I will include adaptions using modern equipment such as the Thermomix or techniques such as sous vide where possible.

Finally, any posts dating from March 2014 and earlier are not connected to detective fiction - they are just old posts which I have decided to leave on here for the time being.

Wednesday, 1 December 2010

Baharat

The recipe for Roz merga hamra (below) calls for a small quantity of baharat.  This is a spice mixture used in North Africa and the Middle East.  The recipe calls for x number of parts of this spice and x number of parts of that spice.  Unless you are going to use tons of the stuff, assume half or even a quarter of a teaspoon for one part.  Do not do what I did and use a whole tablespoon for one part.  I now have rather a lot of baharat and hope I can use it up!  

BAHARAT


No comments:

Post a Comment